Last Updated: March 30, 2023
Do you find yourself a victim of anxiety and FOMO caused by excessive use of social media? Doesn’t a break from it all sound exciting?
If you’ve decided to prioritise yourself and are wondering how to deactivate your social media accounts, you’re at the right place.
In this blog post, we will walk you through the process of account deactivation and deletion for some of the most popular social media platforms.
What Is a Social Media Detox and How to Benefit From One?
If you’re considering going off the grid, let’s talk about social media detox — the act of taking a break from all things social media. Too much time online has been proven to have a negative effect on your mental health and overall well-being.
A social media detox can be an excellent way to give yourself some time and space to reassess your relationship with the online world and determine if it’s something that you want to continue spending time on or not.
The benefits of social media detox include:
- Improved mental health
- More time for other activities
- Gaining a better understanding of your relationship with social media
If you’re thinking about deactivating or deleting your accounts, a social media detox may be just the right way to get started.
How to Deactivate Facebook?
Facebook has made sharing information easier than ever. It makes us feel like we are part of a community, and we keep coming back for our daily dose of business news or cute puppy videos.
The average person spends two hours and 24 minutes on Facebook daily
Two hours out of every day is a lot of time that could be spent doing something productive instead. Try deactivating your account for a couple of days following these simple steps and see how it will affect your daily life.
How to Temporarily Deactivate Facebook — Step by Step:
If you’re looking to deactivate your Facebook account, here are the steps you need to follow:
- Log into your Facebook account and click in the top right of the screen.
- Select “Settings & Privacy” and choose “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- From the left column, select “Your Facebook Information”.
- Under “Deactivation and Deletion”, there’s a “View” option that you’ll need to click.
- Now, you need to choose between deactivating and deleting your account. Select “Deactivate account” and enter your password.
- Give Facebook the reason you’re leaving.
- If you don’t want to receive emails from Facebook while your account is deactivated, don’t forget to tick the box.
- Finally, finish by clicking on “Deactivate”.
Once you’ve deactivated your account, Facebook will send confirmation before removing access from all devices where it’s currently logged in.
Deactivating your account means that your Facebook account still exists, so if you want to reactivate it, you can log back in any time using your email, mobile number or simply writing down the name under your Facebook account.
If you can’t remember your password, you can request a new one.
How to Permanently Delete a Facebook Account?
Deleting an account permanently means that there is no way to recover the data or access the deleted account ever again. You can decide to cancel this process at any time, but once you click the “Delete account” button, all information associated with your account will be deleted permanently.
The steps to permanently delete your Facebook account are the same as deactivating it. Instead of “Deactivate account”, you opt for “Delete account” and enter your password. The actual deletion of all your data and information will take a couple of days. Facebook basically gives you time to change your mind. You mustn’t visit Facebook during this waiting period.
If you have any questions or concerns about account deactivation or deletion, feel free to reach out to the Facebook team for help. You can also check out their official Deactivation and Removal Policy documentation for more information.
How To Download Facebook Data?
If you made the decision to delete your Facebook account permanently, or you want a backup from your Facebook photos that have been piling up on your profile for years, follow these simple steps:
- Log into your Facebook account on the desktop and click the top right arrow.
- Choose “Settings & Privacy” and select “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- From the left column, select “Your Facebook Information”.
- You will see the “View” option besides “Download Your Information”.
- Following your request, you will be presented with categories of your Facebook data. Here, you can choose which data you want to download and your download format (HTML or JSON). You have the option to specify the quality of your photos and videos and the date range of the data you want to be downloaded.
- If you want to save your photos, make sure you have the box corresponding with it checked.
- You can download the copy of your data by going to the “Available Copies” section, clicking the “Download” button, and typing in your password.
Can You Deactivate Your Facebook Account but Keep Messenger Active?
If you followed our step-by-step guide on how to deactivate your Facebook account, at the very end, before clicking “Deactivate”, you’d want to deselect the option “Opt out of receiving messages on Messenger” if you want to keep your Messenger account active.
Continue using the Messenger app on your phone as usual. Other people will still see your profile picture, and they can look you up in the Messenger “Search” option.
If you end up deleting your account, you won’t be able to access Messenger. You’ll have 30 days to cancel your Facebook deletion if you change your mind.
How To Reactivate Facebook?
If you’ve deactivated your Facebook account or you deleted it, but the 30-day period hasn’t passed, you can easily get it back. All you have to do is log back into Facebook or use Facebook to log in somewhere else.
Keep in mind that you’ll need to have access to the email or phone number connected to your account.
Can I Delete My Facebook Account if Someone Else Is Using it?
Yes! If you want to delete an account that’s yours but used by someone else, you’ll need to provide proof of account ownership. This can be done by providing the account’s login email address and password or the account’s phone number and Facebook verification code.
How to Deactivate Instagram?
Jumping on to Instagram and its deactivating and deleting policies.
According to Statista, Instagram had around 28.4 million users in the United Kingdom at the end of 2021
You’re probably one of them, and Instagram has become part of your daily routine. If you’re tired of seeing people brag about what they ate or the new car their parents bought them, give yourself a well-deserved break by following our guides on deactivating and deleting Instagram.
How To Temporarily Deactivate Your Instagram Account?
If you decide to deactivate your Instagram account temporarily, your profile, photos, likes, and comments will be hidden until you decide to come back by logging in. The only way to temporarily disable your account is either from a computer or mobile browser. These are the few simple steps you need to follow:
- On your computer or your phone, open up your browser and go to Instagram’s website. Log into your Instagram account.
- Click on your profile picture in the top right and select “Profile”, then choose the “Edit Profile” option that you can find right next to your account name.
- Scroll down until you see “Temporarily disable my account” in the bottom right and click on it.
- A drop-down menu will appear asking why you want to disable your account. Select an option and re-enter your password. The option to disable your account will only appear after you select an option as to why you are leaving Instagram.
- Finally, click “Temporary Disable Account”.
How To Delete Your Instagram Account Permanently?
Deleting an account means you will have no access to the account, and all content associated with it will be deleted forever. Deleting your Instagram account can only be done from a browser.
- Log in to your Instagram account on instagram.com from your computer or mobile browser.
- Go to the Delete Your Account page.
- From the drop-down menu, choose an option for why you are deleting your account.
- Re-enter your password.
- Click “Permanently delete my account”.
Just an FYI, you can’t use your Instagram app to disable or delete your account.
How To Download Instagram Data?
Before deciding to get rid of your Instagram account permanently, you may want to get a copy of your photos and Instagram posts. Unfortunately, you won’t have access to Instagram’s Data Download tool after deleting your account.
To download a copy of your data from the Instagram app:
- Tap on your profile picture and click on the three horizontal lines.
- Open “Settings”, then tap “Security” followed by “Download data”.
- Enter the email address where you would like to receive a link to your data.
- Tap “Request download” and enter your password.
- Tap “Next” followed by “Done”, and you’ll receive an email with a link to your data, containing instructions on how to finish the download.
To download a copy of your data from a browser:
- Click on your profile picture in the top right corner and choose “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Click “Privacy and Security”.
- Scroll down to find the “Data Download” option and click “Request Download”.
- Enter the email address where you would like to receive a link to your data.
- You will receive the same email with a link to your data and instructions to finish the download.
How To Reactivate Your Instagram Account?
To reactivate your account, you will need to log into your account using the same account information. Your account will be completely reinstated with all of the posts and followers that were on it before deactivation.
Keep in mind that this is not the case if the account was deleted, as account deletion permanently erases all content associated with that account.
Can I Delete My Instagram Account if Someone Else Is Using it?
If you have access to the email address or phone number linked to the account, then yes, it is possible. Use one of them to log in and follow the steps listed above to delete the account.
How to Deactivate a Twitter account?
The most trusted social media platform when it comes to getting news and staying in the known. But sometimes, politics and business can be mentally exhausting. Give yourself a break.
How To Temporarily Deactivate a Twitter Account?
Twitter deactivation begins the process of permanently deleting your account. The action initiates a 30-day window that lets you decide if you want to return to Twitter and reactivate your account.
To deactivate your Twitter account:
- Start by logging in to your account.
- Click on the “More” option that’s right above the “Tweet” button.
- Choose “Settings and Privacy” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on “Deactivate your account” from the “Your account” tab.
- After reading the account deactivation information, click “Deactivate”.
- Enter your password and confirm the action by clicking “Deactivate account”.
How To Permanently Delete a Twitter Account?
After you deactivate your Twitter account, you get a 30-day window to decide if you want to reactivate your account and return to Twitter. If you don’t log in during the 30 days, Twitter will permanently delete your account.
While your account is deactivated but not deleted, your username and public profile won’t be displayed anywhere across the platform. Suppose you decide not to log in in the 30-day window. In that case, Twitter will delete your account, and it won’t be available in their system anymore. Any chance of ever getting back the account or your tweets will be lost.
Can You Delete a Twitter Account on an App?
Yes, you can, and it’s just as easy as doing it from your computer.
- Open the Twitter app on your phone and tap your profile picture in the top left corner.
- Click on “Settings and Privacy”. Once you’re in, tap on “Account”.
- On the bottom, you’ll notice the option “Deactivate your account”. Click on it.
- A new window will appear with the option “Deactivate” at the very bottom. If you are certain that you want to continue with the process, click on it and enter your password.
The 30-day window will start once again, giving you an option to return to Twitter, or if you decide not to — your account will be deleted.
How To Download Twitter Archive Data?
If you’re sure that you want to delete your Twitter account, you might want to make a copy of your data. Downloading your Twitter archive allows you to browse a snapshot of your Twitter info, starting with your first tweet.
- Once you’re logged in to your account, click on the “More” option in the navigation bar, and select “Settings and Privacy” from the menu.
- Under “Your account” in “Settings”, click on “Download an archive of your data”.
- Enter your password and click “Confirm”.
- You need to be verified by either an email address or a phone number. Suppose you don’t have an email account or a phone number connected to the account. In that case, you’ll be redirected to the “Account Information” page.
- Enter the code sent to you at your email or phone number and click the “Request data” button to complete the verification.
- Twitter will send you an email or a push notification on your app once your download is ready. After you receive the email, go to “Settings” and click the “Download data” button under the “Download data” section.
- Finally, you will receive a .zip file of your Twitter archive.
How To Reactivate Your Twitter Account?
As long as you have access to the login email address or phone number and password, reactivating your account is a relatively simple step.
- Open Twitter’s website on your browser or use the Twitter app on your phone.
- Enter your login credentials.
- Before signing in, Twitter will pop up with a notice asking you to confirm if you want to reactivate your account.
- If you choose to reactivate it, you’ll be redirected to your Home timeline. Twitter points out that it might take a while for your likes, followers, tweets, etc., to restore fully.
How to Deactivate Snapchat?
Snapchat offers a different experience than any other social media platform, and it’s easy to get carried away in its fun features and filters. But, if you’re tired of seeing the dog and bunny ears, or you can’t get the hang of the disappearing messages — maybe it’s time to say goodbye.
How To Deactivate Snapchat Account?
Snapchat has the same policy as Twitter, meaning it gives you an option to deactivate your account, followed by a 30-day period in which you can log in and reactivate it. If you don’t, your account will be permanently deleted.
- Visit Snapchat’s account portal.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select “Support”.
- Choose “My Account & Security” and click “Account Information”.
- From the drop-down menu, select “Delete My Account”.
- Next, enter your username and password.
- You’ll get a security code sent to the phone number linked to your account. Enter the code and click “Submit”.
- You’ll need to enter your username and password one more time, click “Continue”, and your account will be deactivated.
How To Delete Your Snapchat Account?
After following the steps above, your Snapchat account will be deactivated, leading to a 30-day window where Snapchat will give you a chance to reconsider the deletion decision. If you don’t log back in, Snapchat will delete your account permanently.
How To Reactivate Snapchat Account?
If you don’t want to lose your account, just log back in with your username within 30 days of deactivating your account.
Please make sure you remember your password before deactivating your account because Snapchat doesn’t allow you to change it afterwards.
While your account is deactivated, you can only log in with your username and password.
How to Delete a TikTok account?
The app that took the world by storm. Arguably, the most addictive social media out there. Think of all the things you could do instead of aimlessly scrolling through dancing and cooking videos.
How To Delete Your TikTok Account?
TikTok made it easy to delete your account. Follow these simple steps:
- Once you enter TikTok, tap “Me” in the bottom right.
- Click the three-line icon in the top right.
- Tap “Manage my account”.
- At the bottom, there is a “Delete account” option that you need to select.
- TikTok will come up with further instructions that you need to complete in order to finish the process.
How To Temporarily Disable TikTok?
There’s no option to deactivate a TikTok account temporarily. However, you have 30 days to change your mind and retrieve it once you delete it. After 30 days, it will be permanently deleted.
If cutting back on spending sounds nice, here’s how you can cancel your Amazon Prime Subscription.
How To Cancel the Amazon Prime Subscription
- Log into your Amazon account and hover over “Account & Lists” in the top right corner of the screen.
- From the drop-down menu, choose “Prime Membership”.
- You will see “Update, cancel and more” in the top right corner under the “Membership” heading. Click on it and choose “End Membership”.
- Amazon will ask you to confirm that you want to end your Prime benefits. Click “Cancel My Benefits”.
- You may be asked multiple times if you want to cancel your Amazon Prime membership. Keep clicking “Continue to cancel” to get past these pages.
- When you finally arrive on the last page, click the button found under the “Cancel Your Prime Membership” header.
How To Spend Less Time on Social Media?
If you can’t commit to deactivating or deleting your social media accounts, you might want to limit your time spent online. There are apps that help you track your social media usage. Some of these apps are:
- Moment (iOS devices)
- Facebook’s “Your Time on Facebook” feature
- RescueTime (for all devices)
- SocialFever (Android devices)
- Space ( iOS devices)
- StayFree (Android devices)
The pressure caused by social media can seriously harm our mental health and overall quality of life. If you’ve come to a point where you are almost certain that staying offline will benefit your well-being, we hope our step-by-step guides on how to delete your social media accounts will help you achieve any goals you’ve set for yourself.
The year is 2022, and we are prioritising our mental health. So don’t be afraid of putting yourself first and take a well-deserved break for as long as you feel the need to.
Yes, it is possible to temporarily disable your social media accounts in most cases. Once your account is deactivated, it will not appear on any search results, nor will anyone be able to contact you through that account.
You can temporarily disable your Instagram account for as long as you want without worrying about losing your personal information.
Instead of deleting your social media, you can use an app that limits the amount of time you spend on it (Moment, Facebook’s “Your Time on Facebook” feature, RescueTime, SocialFever, Space, StayFree).
If you are an admin to the page, click “Pages” from your News Feed in the left menu. Open your page and click “Page Settings” in the bottom left. From “General”, click “Remove Page”. Tap “Delete [Page Name]”. Next, click “Delete Page”, and finish by tapping the “OK” button.