Last Updated: June 21, 2021
Instagram is so last year, right? Well, not according to the following statistics. There are almost 30.6 million Instagram users in the UK alone, which is practically half the population. It is the second most popular social network there, right after Facebook.
In case you are itching to find out how much time people in the UK spend on Instagram, and similar Instagram usage statistics UK, stay with us because we prepared so much more than that.
Interesting Instagram Statistics UK
- In 2018, 36% of individuals who were 15 – 24 years old used Instagram in the UK.
- There were almost 22 million Instagram users in the UK in 2019
- In December 2020, there were approximately 30.6 million Instagram users in the UK
- 24% of UK people aged 18-24 used Instagram in 2020.
- 56.2% of women and 43.8 % of men in the UK reported using Instagram in 2019.
- 54% of surveyed people in the UK reported using Instagram several times a day in 2020.
- In 2020, the Instagram penetration rate in the UK was 53%.
- In 2020, an average Instagram user in the UK spent 53 minutes per day on the app.
- 80% of UK users follow at least one business profile on Instagram.
- In February 2020, children in the UK had spent approximately 48 minutes on Instagram.
In case you want to find out more, we prepared some additional Instagram statistics.
Instagram Usage Statistics UK: Users
The following statistics show how many people had Instagram in 2019 in the UK, and how that number changed in 2020.
- In 2019, there were almost 22 million Instagram users in the UK.
- In December 2020, there were approximately 30.6 million Instagram users in the UK.
From these Instagram statistics, we can clearly see the rise in Instagram users in 2020. It would be safe to assume that the Covid-19 pandemic definitely influenced users’ number since people had more time to spend on social media networks from their homes.
However, we found a curious statistic related to that number of users:
- 30% of respondents in the UK said that they use Instagram overall, and only 3% use it as a source of news.
The reason for these different numbers is perhaps the age group of people who were in surveys. Instagram users in the UK, aged 18-35, use it more than any other age group.
The next thing we should check out is the age and gender of Instagram users in the UK.
Instagram Usage Statistics UK: Demographics
In 2018, Statista published reports regarding Instagram demographics in the UK.
- 36% of Instagram users in the UK belong to the 15-24 age group.
Considering recent data, we can see that the demographics of Instagram users in the UK have changed, making a slight rotation toward the 25-34 age group:
- The percentage of UK Instagram users aged 25-34 years has seen an increase from 24% (2018) to 30% (2020), making a gain of 6% in two years.
According to UK social media statistics, Instagram is used by 26.1% of people aged 18-24 years old and 18% of people aged 35-44. Members of Generation Z and Y seem to use Instagram more than other age groups.
The next statistic relates to individuals who use Instagram as a source of news:
- In 2020, 24% of UK Instagram users 18-24 used Instagram as a news source regarding coronavirus pandemic.
According to Reuter’s research, this number varies slightly in some countries. For instance, in the US, 26% of people use Instagram for this.
You probably have both male and female friends who use Instagram, but let’s see which gender uses Instagram more.
- 56.2% of women and 43.8 % of men reported using Instagram in 2019.
- In 2020, in the age group of 15 to 24 years, 71% were women, and 61% were men.
We can clearly see from these statistics that while its popularity is still growing, Instagram is more appealing to women than men.
Now, let’s take a look at how much time an average person in the UK spends on Instagram and similar Instagram stats.
Instagram Usage Statistics UK
Let’s take a look at how many people used Instagram in the UK in 2020.
- In 2020, there were 28 million monthly Instagram active users in the UK.
Keeping in mind the number of users in 2019, we can see that the following year’s Instagram usage rate jumped significantly.
- In 2020, the Instagram penetration rate in the UK was 53%.
How much time do you spend on one social network?
- The average daily time spent on the internet was 4 hours in 2020, out of which 53 minutes were spent on Instagram.
- In 2020, 54% of surveyed people in the UK reported using Instagram several times a day.
Seeing these two Instagram usage statistics UK, we can conclude that more than half of people who took a survey check their Instagram account several times during the day, and also 12% of people check it a few times per day.
But what of the children in the UK? Well, children nowadays use many apps, but YouTube, TikTok, and Snapchat, alongside Instagram, are the most used apps among younger teens. Just look at how much time they actually spend on Instagram:
- In February 2020, children in the UK had spent approximately 48 minutes on Instagram daily.
Alternatively, check out how much time adults spend on Instagram:
- An average Instagram user in the UK had spent 27 minutes per day on this network in 2019.
With these stats, we can clearly conclude that Instagram is most appealing to the younger audience, no doubt being the targeted demographic, but did certainly not lose its charm with the older population either.
- Instagram downloads in the UK reached approximately 308 thousand on Android devices, in February 2020.
According to Statista, Instagram never made it to the top ten leading social networking iPhone apps, based on the number of downloads in the UK, in September 2020.
Instagram Usage Statistics UK: Business
We were focusing on Instagram usage statistics so far, but let’s see where the real money’s at, shall we? Here are the Instagram Business Statistics in the UK. Let-s dive in.
- 80% of users follow at least one business profile on Instagram.
- In 2020, 20% of UK Instagram users will engage with a business Instagram profile per day.
Instagram hosts many diverse accounts, some of which have educational and inspirational posts. These accounts are usually business profiles and often promote brand-related products or a specific brand itself.
Let’s take a quick look at brand-sponsored posts on Instagram:
- In 2018, 34% of brand-sponsored posts in the UK on Instagram were in the “fashion and style” category coming in the first place.
Other categories were “beauty” in second place with 21%, and “food & drinks” in third with 16%.
Instagram Usage Statistics UK: Engagement
The last statistic in this article is about the engagement rate of influencers on Instagram.
- In 2018, influencers who had between 10 and 50 thousand followers had the highest Instagram engagement rate of 2.73% in the UK.
In the lists below, we numerically ordered the top 10 influencers and top 10 celebrities by their number of followers.
Influencers on Instagram in the UK
Huda Kattan with 48.1 million followers.
Wayne Rooney with 15.1 million followers.
James Charles with 12.9 million followers.
Kayla Itsines with 10.7 million followers.
Jeffree Star with 10.1 million followers.
Zoë Sugg with 9.2 million followers.
Marcus Rashford with 8.9 million followers.
Raheem Sterling with 7.4 million followers.
Emma Chamberlain with 6.1 million followers.
Caspar Lee with 3.1 million followers
Celebrities with the Most Followers on Instagram
Emma Watson with 59.2 million followers.
Cara Delevingne with 43.8 million followers.
Victoria Beckham with 28.8 million followers.
Emilia Clarke with 27.2 million followers.
Niall Horan with 26.4 million followers.
Ellie Goulding with 14.4 million followers.
Maisie Williams with 10.9 million followers.
Jamie Oliver with 8.4 million followers.
Lena Headey with 3.5 million followers.
To Sum Up
What we could see with Instagram usage statistics UK, is that over the years, more and more people started using this platform, especially kids, who even spent 48 minutes scrolling the Instagram app.
There were clear indications that women tend to use Instagram more, and perhaps that is why Fashion and Styles, Beauty, and similar categories are more visited overall.
While social distancing because of the coronavirus pandemic definitely helped raise the popularity of the platform, it merely gave it a slight push to reach the milestones sooner than it normally would under regular circumstances.
With each new update of the platform bringing in additional features and ways to entice its users, it’s only a matter of time before Instagram engulfs most of the population, becoming an integral part of the everyday life of an average UK citizen.